Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hey You!

Hello Everybody and welcome to The Changing Face. While I’ve been writing and making films professionally for quite awhile now, it’s almost always been about something or somebody else. Recently, I have been encouraged to share some of my own values and views on the world so thus begins what I plan to be a weekly series of personal perspectives on the world.

To best understand this world, you’ve got to know a bit about me. I’m a Chinese Canadian, I’m old enough to remember when the Beatles first came out, I’m a Christian and have been working in media for twenty-five years. I made a living playing keyboards in bars and clubs for years, then went back to school and completed a Master’s of Music from the University of Toronto. Not wanting to teach, I hung my shingle out as a composer and did commercials for Shell and Toyota and spent four seasons on Sesame St.

In the mid-1990’s, I started writing, directing and producing of entire projects, documentary and dramatic, most of them with a particular niche of showing Chinese as part of North America’s cultural mainstream. The Changing Face is the name of one of these projects that got locked into development hell but the concept still holds true – North America’s face is changing and one key color is yellow. And anyone that doubts that China is now a predominant world player is in a different universe than I live in.

Now this is really important, culturally, socially, politically and financially, especially if one believes, as I do, that the Chinese will be as important a force in North American and world entertainment as the Afro-American community has become. While I’ll be doing most of the writing of the blog, I’ll be having some great guests sit in who can shed additional light.

I’m excited to be part of this growth but “it’s complicated” which means it’s real. It may even on occasion be controversial. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Wes! I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently pay lots attention to Chinese Mainland's possible evolution to democracy, will interested in your blogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to what you have to say :) Now if there were a way to generate coffee during the process - it would be much like a regular yarn :) Have fun with this - an excellent idea.
    Cheers,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never blogged in my life, but as my life's definitely changing, too, it's a great place to start. Definitely will forward this to friends to get their ideas online, too. North American-Asian-Christians in the media... sounds too good to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Wes, for leading out on this important issue.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete