Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lest We Forget

With November 11th being Remembrance Day, I want to take a break from the normal issues talked about to give thanks and pay tribute to those men and women who willingly put their lives on the line so that all of us can enjoy the freedoms and lives we enjoy today.

I spend a lot of time with Chinese Canadian WWII vets that are still alive. There is a recurrent theme that they share with all veterans and that is that they are most proud to have served their country 65 years ago. Many feel it is the most important thing they have done in their lives, despite having gone onto many other fields of accomplishment.


Pacific Unit 280, Chinese Canadian Army, Navy and Air Force Veterans is quite a remarkable group. They have met once a month since the end of WWII, come hell or high water. Some of them hate each other but they still faithfully attend the meetings, bound with their common bond of having changed Canada fundamentally. After WWII, they were instrumental in helping lobby for the vote, and Douglas Jung, Honourary Life President, was the first Chinese Canadian Member of Parliament.

I have discovered the bond of service to country is deeply imbedded in all persons in the military. This was re-inforced to me when I traveled to Washington DC a couple of weeks ago. The pride and respect exhibited by all when I visited the Arlington Cemetery made me think Canadians must do a better job of showing honour to those that are willing to defend us.

When I see some of the WWII vets now, many in their eighties or nineties, I try not to see them as the fragile elderly men they now are but look to see a teenager or young guy in his twenties, scared shitless that he might not last out the week, let alone the next fifteen minutes. Why did he do that? So a guy like me that he never even knew existed might have a chance for the future that he might not have.

As the Chaplain, I found a couple of quotes from the Bible that give real insight as to why military people do what they do.

Jesus said, “Greater love hath no man than he give up his life for another.” While this applies to those who did pay the ultimate sacrifice, those who are or were willing to lay themselves on the line for us deserve an enormous debt from those of us who are the recipients of their dedication to their fellow man.

I was watching the Fort Hood Memorial today and saw General Casey offer these words from Isaiah that are so appropriate.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

If you see a vet or person in active service, do something for them. They have stood or stand on guard for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment